Varicose Vein Removal on Hands | El Paso TX
For many, the appearance of their hands is an afterthought when meeting someone new. However, if you have bulging veins, you may hesitate to shake hands or wave to those you meet. This can often create issues in various social opportunities. Fortunately, there is a solution to eliminating the unattractive bulging veins on your hands. A simple consultation with your vein specialist can help you determine if varicose vein removal on hands is right for your condition.
What Causes Varicose Veins on Hands?
Your varicose vein specialist will note that most bulging veins on your hands are normal. There are several reasons why people have bulging veins in their hands, including:
- Low body fat, especially on your hands, causing the veins to be more prominent.
- Age – the skin gets thinner and loses elasticity as you get older, making your veins more visible. Aging also causes the valves in your veins to weaken, which in turn causes blood to pool in your veins rather than flow steadily to the heart, causing the veins to bulge.
- Exercise – it causes the blood pressure in your veins to rise and push them closer to your skin. This is temporary, but lifting weights regularly can make bulging hand veins permanent.
- Genetics – if someone in your immediate family has bulging veins, you’re likely to have them too.
- Hot weather – high temperatures cause vasodilation (blood vessels to move closer to the skin surface) for cooling.
- Phlebitis – a situation where trauma, a hand infection, or autoimmune disease causes inflammation of a vein.
- Superficial thrombophlebitis – inflammation of a superficial vein (phlebitis) caused by a blood clot (thrombus), due to a vein injury like when inserting an IV catheter.
Common Procedures for Varicose Vein Removal on Hands
The way your hands look can have a huge effect on your enjoyment of life. Varicose veins are treatable through self-care, endovenous ablation or similar minimally invasive treatments, or surgery. Treatment procedures either remove or destroy the problem veins, such that blood reroutes through other veins in that area. Self-care practices, on the other hand, seek to reduce the symptoms.
To find out if varicose vein removal is best for you, please contact your varicose vein specialist in El Paso TX to schedule a consultation.